View Single Post
Old 01-19-19, 01:16 PM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
Hello again! Wow, this thread is a busy place. I've been lurking but not posted for a long time. I met a little discouragement on my three-speed projects is why. But: maybe prospects have improved and a three-speed project that's been postponed for, like, two years might get underway again soon. Also, I did finally sort out the shifting problems with my Rudge, by resetting and tightening the pulley and fulcrum stop. I also broke down the hub again but I have a feeling that was unnecessary. What I'm happy about is I took off the fenders and chainguard and added a rear rack and new rubber grips and entered the bike into daily commuter and around-the-city service. Not on rain days, of course. Also I opened up the bottom bracket and cleaned it up from the non-drive side and poked in new grease with a stir stick. The cotter pin on the drive side is frozen and would need to be drilled to remove it, and I don't feel like doing that just yet. I bought a little original lockring wrench, sized to fit a mini saddle bag, off ebay. It was pricey for what it is but with the help of a few taps of a hammer I can get enough torque to tighten sufficiently or loosen the lock ring. Here's a picture--not a beauty pageant winner but neither a garage queen. Maybe in the spring CR18s. Right now I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a resumption of work on Three-Speed Project X.
I like this bike. Although I am partial to Rudges. One of my favorite rides is a stripped down 21" Rudge semi-scorcher. It's got 590mm alloy rims, a lightweight seat and a long stem. I even sprung for a pair of long reach Tektro brake calipers. The rear was a bit too short of lever travel to suit me with these brakes, so I rigged up a couple cable stops on the top tube which allowed me to cut out 18" of housing. Very pleased with them now. Feels like power brakes. Since then, I've learned of compression-less cable housings. These might work just as well, I don't know. All in all, I think a Rudge scorcher is a fine plan.