Old 01-21-19, 08:11 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I was a bit disappointed in the speed of that tempo/SS ride on the TT bike for the reason of speed average. The route is a no-cars rails trail. There is some slowing up to be a responsible human being around other people at times, and some slow corners and other features that make it more maneuverable on a road bike than a TT/tri bike. But, some flats for miles in places without bother.

I felt better after zooming in to ignore the foot bridge crossings and other things and it seemed more reasonable. About 21.5 for the 45 miles wearing the road helmet and a flappy winter time LS jersey. Also, no race wheels.

So, that makes sense.

I was concerned at first as this ride was about the same speed as the other weekend where I had quite a bit more elevation. But, on this rail trail, you can't carry huge speed on the little downhills as they're pretty curvy. Also, with the start and stop of bridges and sharp corners.......you're losing a lot you don't lose on open country roads.

I'm still wanting to do a 1/2 IM length workout on the TT bike in 2.5 hours. That'd be a good start against a 10mi and 25mi TT ride.

I also had caught a local road racer doing some kind of intervals. Pretty quick person. He saw me coming and held off the inevitable (TT bike) for a good while. Once caught he stayed behind and rested a bit then did another interval in his workout and passed on by. Then I caught up again. Always cool to see the guys out with legs the size of cannons. I'm a skinny guy, not much of cannons to look at.