Old 01-21-19, 11:39 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2697 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 72 Posts
Sounds like the respondent hasn't worked for Fizik long enough to remember their product lineup. Not all manufacturers value their archives, or have too much product change and turnover to keep track of.

Ask the seller of that illustrated Tempo saddle to check that yellow product booklet for a copyright date. That'll narrow it down. The booklet may also include a brief product description that would clarify the original intent of the design.

It appears to me to be a comfort saddle for serious cyclists who can't cope with hard, inflexible saddles anymore: older roadies, or folks who ride fixies or sporty hybrids. Those types of saddles have a lot of product turnover, rarely lasting more than a year or two in any manufacturer's catalog because they either didn't solve the problem, another saddle solved the problem better (Selle Anatomica), or the target demographic refused to admit they needed a "comfort" saddle.

I can kind of understand why it's a tough market for comfortable saddles for serious cyclists. I'm trying a Selle Italia B-Bik as an alternative to my Selle Italia SLS Kit Carbonio -- lightly padded, narrow, a less expensive variation of the typical Selle Italia road bike saddle. But the Q-Bik is a sort of fish-nor-fowl compromise. Same basic configuration as the typical Selle Italia, but a little wider, a little more padding, a narrow "flow" cutout for perineum relief, and slightly curved with a more flexible shell, so it's a bit more of a hammock type saddle.

It doesn't look radically different but it rides very different. Not sure yet whether I'll keep it on the road bike. It's more picky about seat post height, fore/aft adjustment, tilt, even shorts padding. So far it's been fine up to 25 miles but beyond that I'm aware it's there. With the flatter, firmer SLS Kit Carbonio I was barely aware the saddle was there, although I did need denser padding in my shorts. I'd hoped the Q-Bik would allow me to sit a bit more heavily in the saddle and spin faster, or be more comfortable on chipseal and rough roads.

It's a tough nut to crack to make a comfort saddle for serious cyclists that hasn't already been done by Selle Anatomica and Selle SMP.