Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
A high viz sock is an answer to a question no one has ever asked. 90% of the average sock is invisible inside your shoe and up the leg of your pants (or tights). Seriously, who comes up with this stuff. No, A&S has not changed my cycling behavior to any degree. Much of what I see here is fear mongering and based on poorly understood junk science. I ride predictably and defensively in the door zone (or bike lane) in usually cycling specific clothing which is usually high viz but may not be. At night I run one (1) rear taillight (that flashes!) and one (1) headlight (two if in unfamiliar surroundings) and the rest I leave to what many of you might call 'God'.
I know you find in necessary to be adversarial, and I get that some folks have that need, but I would encourage you to process the next high vis shoes you see in action. The ones I saw the other day really stood out. The socks I bought are mid calf, and I would expect the color and constant movement to help draw attention much as the shoes did. I see them as part of a cocktail of safety strategies.