tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by bargainguy
I watched parts of the video. A couple concerns.

It doesn't look like high cadences can be achieved with this design. Mind you, I haven't tried one, but the guy on the demo bike looked pretty fit. I never saw him above ~60-70 rpm. Whether it's because he never tried or he couldn't, I can't tell.

Extrapolated, that means you will kill your knees on this bike. Doesn't matter if you're fit or not, low cadences kill knees. The way to keep knees happy is high cadence with less effort, not the opposite. If a high cadence can't be achieved, that's a dealbreaker for me.

Second concern: When coasting on this bike, are you really resting your legs? My guess is no, in the same way standing up takes more effort than sitting down.
Viable concerns, and totally explainable. If you see any of his other videos, you'd see he uses higher cadence when ascending, and lower on decents. This guy is in amazingly good shape. If his knees can handle his low cadence,...only time will tell. He doesn't always use low cadence.

As to resting when not pedaling, it's the same as my Micro PedalFlow. I have no issue with rest when I ride it. It's all about conditioning.