Old 01-27-19, 12:32 PM
chico81 

Bikes: 1983 Austro Daimler - Puch Pacifica, 1984 Miyata 310, 1983 Univega Gran Tourismo, 1989 Peugeot Triathlon, 1989 Bridgestone MB-1, 1992 Klein Rascal, 1992 Cannondale M-700

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
As noted above, there are many videos on packing a bike for shipping. Watch several videos, since some are packed better than others.

Here's how I packed a 25" Miyata 1000 for BikeFlights shipment from Ohio to coastal Washington state... I used about four pool noodles from the local Dollar Store (actually ~ $2/ea) and a buttload of zip ties. Note the saddle w/ seatpost are between the seatstays. I cut proper-length sections of 1/2" PVC conduit to block the dropouts, and secured those with the wheel's skewers. Even the wheels got zip-tied to the bike so they wouldn't move around. Yes, the chainrings and crank arms got covered with pool noodles, just not shown in this pic... I would have removed the driveside crankarm, but couldn't find my crank extractor

Package arrived in the same condition it left here... Buyer was VERY pleased with my packing job.

FWIW, I had a bike shop in AZ pack and ship my Miyata 710 earlier last year, and due to improper packing it arrived with numerous scratches. I was NOT pleased.

Thanks cougr and bikemig!

Thank you for the information! It seems a lot less daunting than I originally thought. I heard a lot of horror stories, but this seems completely doable. And thanks for the tutorial and images, they really help. I think I would trust my own packing over the LBS. I checked the rates to ship via bikeflight to the east coast and it is completely reasonable. I am now open to shipping. I think $100 is reasonable right?