Old 01-27-19, 02:30 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,835 Times in 2,293 Posts
Never had a problem with brake or chainstay bridges coming loose when spreading a frame. But I have opted out a couple of times from doing this for various reasons so maybe I have avoided the worst potentials.

What is the frame made of? Steel is the only frame material to spread. Can you remove the BB yourself? I find that clamping the BB in a big bench vise makes for far better control of the bending then working freehand or on the floor. I would strongly suggest that the drop outs are realigned after spreading. While you're back there a hanger check isn't a bad idea.

A competent shop can do this easily enough but the qualifier is competent. This isn't what I would ask a LBS to do during their busy season. Certainly a frame person is a good choice too but if one's not local getting the frame/bike to them get's costly. No mention of locality (no surprise, most posters don't bother with this info) so no ability to offer where to go advice. If you're local to me this could be a pretty quick and low cost deal. Andy