View Single Post
Old 01-29-19, 01:28 PM
hythamfekry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork View Post
There's a logical disconnect in your first sentence.

Hydrocarbon solvents damage many types of plastic and elastomers (as used in seals). If you insist on "degreasing" your electric derailleur, maybe consider a chlorinated solvent developed for the electronics industry. But if you strip out the lube from internal recesses, like motor bearings, how will you replace it? Chain lube is probably not the best replacement.

If you will look at the published SDS for the product you won't have to guess. SDSs include very little marketing hype.

Checking prices at a large retailer, I see that per mL, muc-off costs about twenty-five times as much as the same solvent in less hyped packages.

Just FYI, according to the manufacturer e-shift is also just hydrocarbon solvent at an ultra premium price -- nothing kinda gentle about it.
That's weired , if e-shift that's specially made for DI2 is hydrocarbon is only another hydrocarbon , then its only benefit that's it's a dry formula that evaporate after use , maybe they depend on the fact that the derailleur is waterproof , motor bearings , etc should be inside the sealed shell , in finish line videos on youtube , they used the dry lube to lubricate external pivot points of the derailleur , mechanical brakes .
Thanks for the chlorinated solvent suggestion , that came cross my mind , anyway , i think i will just use non-pressurized water or a wet cloth to get rid of the salty residual on the mech. to avoid any corrosion or so ... and leave it without lubrication to avoid attracting dirt .. mechs "including electronic ones" can be washed with a non-pressurized water , i didn't came across manufacture recommendation to re-grease or lube derailleur after wash ...
Thanks for your answers