View Single Post
Old 01-29-19, 02:01 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by sykerocker
Probably a few of us had life get in the way. When I sold the old house in Montpelier two years ago, my riding took a fair hit, my wrenching took a severe hit due to lack of dedicated space. At least I'm back wrenching again and the pace is picking up. I'm starting to feel guilty regarding the Rossin and PX-10 frames that have been sitting since '14, waiting for me to start digging up parts and putting them back on the road - finally.
Jeezus, I wrote that on 24 May 17?!?!?!

For the record, I'm finally back riding regularly (cold weather, I'm keeping myself to 10 mile stretches on the Raleigh Tourist in street clothes, will get the serious road bikes and funny clothes out in about 6-8 weeks); I FINALLY have the shop put to where I want it to be, and tomorrow is my first day in the shop where I start working on the last four years worth of backlogged projects.

Boy, it's been a long, slow trip. What I've got isn't quite as nice as the shop I had in Montpelier: I have to share the garage at night with the wife's car, and it's not the dedicated, tight, insulated building that I used to have, but it'll work just fine. I'm finally retiring from the Honda/Yamaha/Can-Am dealership at the end of March (been down to three days a week for the past couple of years), so Syke's Cyclery is going to reopen as something resembling full time once I'm retired. Well, full time, as long as I don't have a baseball game that afternoon. And start doing pre-1950 restorations as I find the bikes to work on. Currently doing a 40's-something Rollfast girls middleweight just to get my chops up. Figure it'll be a money loser, but I need the challenge and learning experience.

Most importantly, the PX-10 and Rossin RL are finally coming off the barn wall - initial parts have been sourced, so something finally going to get done with them after five years.

Damn, it feels good to be back!

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)