Old 01-29-19, 03:39 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 1973 Lambert, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame to be built.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
I've got a sliding scale of what I'm willing to do restoring a bike:

1. If it's pre-Bike Boom, the standard is factory original only. Period. I figure those bikes are rare enough to begin with, so I prefer to show them as they were originally built. Where I haven't come up with the proper parts yet, I'll substitute something that's period correct for the build year of the bike, or 2-3 years newer.

2. Seventies into the Eighties bikes, depending on my mood are either built to factory original or alternately something that would be an upgrade on a 3-5 year old bike back then.

3. Newer than that, pretty much anything goes, but given that I don't own anything more modern than my one bike with 7-speed Shimano RSX and brifters (an early 90's Diamondback), I usually end up staying pretty much within the age of the frame. Sold off my collection of brifterd bikes before leaving Montpelier, and the most modern I had back then was an aluminum/carbon Fuji with 9-speed Ultegra. Found I was enjoying riding the Rossins much more.

I've got no problem with putting modern state-of-the-art 11-speed on a vintage frame . . . . . . . . . except that costs too much money for my wallet, and given my riding abilities, it's not money well spent. 6-speed Shimano with downtube indexed shifters is still the sweet spot for me. Although, assuming I find a fourth Rossin RL 56cm frame, I'd be tempted to build it up totally modern just to see how it felt.

"No wonder we keep testing positive in their bicycle races. Everyone looks like they're full of testosterone when they're surrounded by Frenchmen." ---Argus Hamilton

Last edited by sykerocker; 01-29-19 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Spell checking