Old 01-30-19, 12:47 AM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Two years ago I started riding clipless and never had a problem, no falls so far (one close call when I lost speed on a short uphill).
I have only tried Shimano 2-bolt (MTB) cleats/pedals. I have PD-A530, these are good combo pedals which have a flat side should you ride in regular shoes. Also you can use the flat side in areas with many lights and frequent stops if you do not want to clip/unclip frequently. There are similar pedals, PD-M324; they look more durable, but the flat side is harsher on the shoes.
I have only used Shimano's M51 cleats which require twisting the back of the foot to the side in order to release. Never had a problem with them. I have "multi-release" M56 cleats lying around, never bothered to try them.
Also, Shimano has Click'R pedals which are MTB pedals which make it easier to release the foot -- e.g., PD-T400 (I have them on the hybrid, got them for $14 on sale). Regular (non-click'r) A530's can also be relaxed so that releasing the foot is not a problem.
There are also Click'R PD-T421 which have one flat side. PD-T400 and T421 have reflectors if you need them for commuting.