Thread: House-free!?
View Single Post
Old 01-22-06, 11:45 PM
attercoppe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is an interesting topic...does renting vs owning qualify as house-free?

Probably not, since you mention living in a vehicle of some sort. I have always thought that living on a boat would be neat. Of course you would have to live somewhere that would work - decent weather year-round, reasonably close access to stores etc. You'd also have to be able to live on the water - with the waves and all.

I know a couple of people in this area, and there are several more that I don't know, that live year-round in an RV. Their "houses" are at a local RV park, most don't drive them often, if ever. It's probably cheaper than lot rent for a mobile home, and it is actually mobile, if you were so inclined. The same park has at least a few regulars, that come every year and park for 3-5 months. And back near my hometown, there is a place along the highway, I don't know who owns it, but apparently they travel a lot. There is a huge garage (huge as in tall, RV-sized) and a little house there. An interesting idea for a home base...

That same local RV park is actually where I stayed when I first moved here. I came across the country without a job or a place to live, so I slept in my van and showered at the bathhouse for about a week. I would probably have kept it up but at 8000 feet, the nights get chilly even in late August - and colder yet as winter gets closer. I wasn't really prepared in several ways for long-term van living. Sure was cheap, though.