View Single Post
Old 01-30-19, 03:18 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8063 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kingston View Post
Such as? I'd like to know which other product manufacturers charge a wholesale price in the US that's higher than the retail price in Europe for an otherwise identical product, then threaten British retailers so they stop shipping product to American customers. I'll stop buying their products too.
The video industry has been interesting. I think it started with tapes and some countries running at 60 HZ, and others at 50 HZ.

But, most DVD and Blu-Ray discs sold have an embedded country code, and will not play in other countries.

So, if you purchase a big Blockbuster movie from the UK or Australia, it won't play on 99% of the video players in the USA.

Unfortunately, they did the same thing for locally produced videos, so if you wish to buy a small locally produced/distributed film or TV show, you're out of luck. Likewise, buying foreign language films can be problematic.

Many electronic media distribution companies are doing the same, so find some local TV show that you're interested in, distributed in another country, and you'll get your internet access blocked to the distributor's website.

The car industry has government imposed restrictions, blocking that couple of percent of "grey market" vehicles from coming in.

It may be that 40 years ago, as the governments started introducing SMOG and Safety standards, it made sense. But, now, much less so, as European and Japanese safety standards may be as good, or better than our own.

Many industries have struggled with price-fixing and Minimum Advertised Prices. And, right now the bike industry is winning over reason.