View Single Post
Old 01-30-19, 07:37 PM
Doge 

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 28 Posts
I think the kids can be fairly certain they can get a pro continental gig, they just need to live in Europe at <20. Feels like age 15 is good - with parents.
Getting the buy-a-house and raise-a-family money is really hard. Doing it without living in Europe is harder.

Soccer players (Christian Pulisic $73M 20 year old) do it with family, then there are millions to support it.

The counter point to my own arguments is MTB and CX may end up as legitimate buy-a-house and raise-a-family jobs. I think USA is better positioned for that as these are not multi-day live with the team stage races. Due to event time - riders can do other things.

Kudos to the Internationals (I know BF is an international site) that come to the USA and make it in basketball. The opportunity to do the reverse and grow pro cyclists in the USA then transfer to Europe seems even harder. Lemond and Armstrong got the USA all excited about something I doubt will be repeated. If it is, it will be random. There is no program that I see that can grow rider(s) into that.