base2 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
????
https://www.jensonusa.com/search?q=shimano+crankset

Never buy Shimano components from a bike shop. They force the shops to sell at a minimum advertised price. Online or eBay you can find them for roughly 30% less sometimes 50% less. I recently purchased an XT derailleur and Shimano Saint shifter for my mountain bike from an online retailer for almost 50% less than retail.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/infor...-pro-only.html
So, the policy unilaterally dictated by Shimano essentially says that they believe the value of their products shall not be subject to the forces of free market capitalism. And that they will punish any retailer that doesn't play along...What a "D"-move.

Moving on.
The Jenson link was addressed by around post 4 or 5 or so. I stated that I missed the listing. It wasn't alphabetical when I searched" drivetrain>>chainsets" sort by brand. In any case maybe listing the results here will make my irritation clear.

XTR FC-9020 Black, Proprietary holes, no rings $300
XTR FC-9000 Black, Proprietary holes, no rings, $300
XT FC- 8000 Black, Proprietary holes, 1 with rings, 1 without, both $90, 1 boost, $115
SLX FC-M7000 Black, Proprietary holes, 2 with rings, 2 boost, a single & a double of each $80-$100
Acera FC-M361 Black, triple.
Altus FC-M311 Black, triple
ZEE FC-640, Black, single, Steel heavy (850 grams) $100
ZEE FC-645 Black, 83mm axle, Steel, heavy

See anything in common? Only black. Ring compatibility with market available spares is diminished, MSRP of items is not consistant with product merit, production cost or market demand.

Corporate control to limit consumer choice and free market forces is by definition a monopolistic behavior. Americans are being taken to the cleaners.