Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
the thing is, you aren't riding slow. You end up doing more intensity at a higher wattage for longer durations total by doing them in shorter sessions. Doing short z2/z3 rides during the week doesnt really add much to fitness so for the same amount of weekly training I find can build faster with focused sessions during the week. Of course I'm referring to early season during base and build phases. Once into prime riding season things flip and you go out on hard long rides on the weekends because they're fun and then spend the week recovering with only a single day of quality training usually. By that point FTP gains tend to plateau though and you're just maintaining a high level of fitness
Well that's true, too. I had success in a couple years doing back-to-back moderate weekend rides, say 60-100 miles total in early season, then switching over to the one hard ride like you say. It's good both ways. The one-hard-ride way it's only one weekend day devoted to one's passion, the other to "kitchen uses," so there's that. The progression is more usual. This year, I've been doing the one hard ride method. This week I finally feel strong. Maybe the tandem won't be off the back so bad now.