Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Yes, in fact, but in the way you mean it, No, it is not.

The seller sets the price. if you don't like it, you buy a Different product. If I wholesale products to 20 stores, and approach all 20 stores with a contract saying they must charge $X, And they agree and sign it .... that's business. They can refuse. I am not obligated to sell. They Are obligated to honor the contract.
Shimano wants a minimum price at all its outlets, and in a truly free market, has that right. Dealers who don't want to sell Shimano parts at that price are free not to.
In the real world, different nations have different laws. Apparently the EU has laws against manufacturers setting minimum retail prices. If you think the U.S. should too, lobby Congress, don't complain about Shimano making money.
An interesting read:

Shimano MAP Policy
additional reading of interest that compares MAP vs "Resale Price Maintenance agreements". MAP and Antitrust
The wording of Shimano's "MAP" policy seems to pretty much make it impossible to sell a product online for less than MAP thru automated means, even though in theory a retailer should be allowed to if they don't "Advertise" that they're doing so.

I recall the stereo and camera industries (maybe it was Crutchfield?) would have a simple "Call for Current Price" option. In today's world, maybe theoretically an online seller could accomplish similar with Livechat functionality?