Old 01-23-06, 04:40 AM
kim kohen

Bikes: Giant OCR1, 2 mountain bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T3700
This is my first post. My name is Renee, I am 38 years old and I need help to lose weight. I work full time and I'm a mother of two kids (4 -5). I have very little time to exercise. I try to walk on my treadmill and work out with DVD's and on weekend ride my bike. I have hurt my knee so I can't do much because of it. I would like to know what kind of diet I need to lose weight healthy and not feel weak. I need to know also what kind of exercise I need to do so it want hurt my knee. Every time I try to exercise my knee starts hurting. I have a home gym treadmill, bike, and DVD's.
Hey Renee, good for you. Although this is a bike forum, I'll throw in my 2 cents worth of where I think you should start. For mine, if you have bad knees to start with, I'd be swimming. I swim 1.5 km a day and cycle weekends and a couple of nights a week. Sometimes I ride to the pool, swim and ride home.

As much as I like cycling, the swimming will give you a very gentle, low-stress way of doing some solid exercise. I've had a knee reconstruction, a fracture dislocation of the shoulder and a recent spinal fusion and every time I have surgery the doctors tell me to swim. If you're not a great swimmer you can always walk laps - low impact, easy on the knees and great exercise.

Anyway, cycle, swim, walk but I don't think you should be in pain when you're doing it - that would just make you want to stop. Good luck, we're with you.

cheers

/k