View Single Post
Old 02-03-19, 02:56 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Raleigh74
Ferrules don’t fit into the caliper stops and it’s my understanding that shimano aero levers don’t take ferrules either. The only thing I can think is something isn’t seating right in the levers...although I’ve removed the taped housing and checked twice now. Frustration is taking over.
I also think something is not seating right with the levers. I suggest pulling the cables and the levers off the bars, and looking inside the lever with a flashlight to see what the stop looks like. I wouldn't assume no ferrules. Maybe, maybe not, especially on the early funky aero levers. I don't remember, as I haven't really worked on those brakes since they were knew. IMO and IME, it's best to use ferrules if you can.

Also, do the brake levers move freely with no cables inserted? Sometimes the levers themselves get jammed up, as a result of a crash or bad QC.

^^^ I agree that it's best with these early aero levers to tape after doing basic brake adjustment. It could be preventing the housing from seating properly.