View Single Post
Old 02-03-19, 08:49 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
If you don't mind voiding the warranty on your new forks, you could grind off the "lawyer lips" from the fork tips, then mount the wheel about 1/8" lower in the fork. Quick release skewer should bite in securely if you clamp it down nice and tight. This should give you enough room to clear a 28mm tire.

Or a slightly narrower rim might work.
I wouldn't do that. Inevitably with a few road bumps, the axle will settle back to the dropouts, perhaps tilting enough to induce brake rub.

If you're only slightly large, it would probably just cause tires to rub. Go really big, and perhaps do a hard brake and ender.

One would at least scratch up the bottom of the brakes or fork crown.

If it was a steel crown, I'd suggest potentially reshaping parts of the bottom of the crown to give a touch more space, keeping away from welds and joints.

Possibly one could contour a carbon fiber fork with an aluminum crown, but it probably wouldn't be a good idea to recontour a carbon fork with a carbon crown (which I think the OP has).

Tire sizes aren't exact, and somewhere there was a list of actual measured tire sizes, but I'd probably just find a 25mm or 26mm tire that you liked.

Or, hunt down a new fork. Perhaps a cyclocross fork?