View Single Post
Old 02-04-19, 06:03 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
The bike is safe but the damage is conspicuous and not cover-up-able. I have thought of what you said, but the Trek has been useful to me as a derailleur bike. Plus, ahead of it project-wise is the cotterless cranking and AW-ing a salvaged mid-70s Peugeot mixte that while the finish is awful is straight and undinged. I finally got back my built 700c wheels (CR18s) after a long wait (two years almost!) and unfortunately some harsh words. I have not been able to locate a cotterless spindle that fits the old French BB, so will probably wind up shelling out for the Velo Orange BB, once I figure out the spindle length I need. I am so much better at making plans than at carrying them out.
Still semi on topic - I also have an early 70s Peugeot - which I owned since 1973 and back then converted to cotterless. You can continue to use the cups that are on the bike and I think the spindle is a "SSS" or "3S" (not sure if that's size). Anyway, it was not hard to source a spindle at the LBS - take the cottered one with you and find a cotterless spindle with same basic specs. As to OT - the IGH on 700C wheels was on this bike before the Trek.