Old 02-04-19, 06:23 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
@redlude97 and @asgelle

1. Ok, the idea is that I want to do the 20 min TT that will give me a decent estimate of my current LT heart rate. I'm starting base training now. I plan to train using HR, not power. I don't have an on-road power meter.

2. I want to do the TT with a familiar loading. I know my Kurt (a really early Road Machine) feels natural. Based on the Kurt curve, I want to choose a Wahoo Level that is close to that, and will also feel natural.

3. For indoor training I can use power to pace of course, and hence to help calibrate my RPE and HR awareness. But I need to start and to start with what I know, and that is HR. My zones will be set up based on HR, since when training outdoors I would use HR. The training bike is a pretty nice vintage road bike one and I don't want to put a power crank on it with a Star Wars look, and the drivetrain is Campagnolo so I don't want to add a Shimano or SRAM chainset. May seem lightweight, but that's the way it is.

If I luck into a nice set of used pedal sensors that would be different, but I still need to start with HR. I want to get focused on the riding, not the bike. My pedal stroke needs a a lot of work. I might go for a set of clipon pedals and shoes to facilitate the pedal stroke training. Been off the bike mostly for a year, and pedaling does not feel smooth right now.