View Single Post
Old 02-05-19, 12:29 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 393 Posts
Shifts and spins fine now

Originally Posted by Salubrious
The SA AW hub is a very durable design.

If I have one that is stiff and won't shift, I spray WD40 into the oil port for about 5 seconds. Then I spin the wheel a bit with the cranks and try to shift it- some WD-40 will leak out. If weather permits, I take the bike for a spin around the block and see if the gears start shifting. They usually do. Regardless, I put the bike back on the stand, rotate the oil port down, and flush it out with the WD40. Then I let it drain. I then rotate the wheel so the oil port is up, and install about a tablespoon of automatic transmission fluid (Dextron). Then I take the bike for another spin- this time for about a mile. At this point it should be working quite nicely (if the bearings are not over-tightened). On return home, I put the bike on the stand, rotate the oil port down, and flush it one more time with the WD40. Then I install the regular oil.

The hub bearing should have a tiny bit of play- they should not be snugged down. If you have the hub set up right, it won't leak a whole lot and the wheel will spin as freely as any good quality hub (like Campagnolo).
It operates just fine now. Bike was purchased last year and I fought shifting a bit until I got rid of the twist grip shifter. I added a liberal amount of oil. Perhaps a dozen rides last year, and it seems fine. Rear hub bearings and shifting seemed fine before winter set in. Perhaps in the warmer future I may tackle the hub. I am just happy now to have done crank bearings. Head bearings, pedals, front wheel, and tires/tubes next. Need brake pads, and the front wheel has a bit of wobble too. Oh what fun.

As an aside, the British seem to like to do things differently.