View Single Post
Old 02-06-19, 06:46 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5440 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 67 Posts
Okay.

"Salmoning" is dangerous because people riding in the legally specified direction are suddenly faced with head-on traffic. No one would suggest driving the wrong way "because I can see the cars coming." But some folks think it is okay in a bike lane? I have been in too many situations where Someone had to either go off-road (which is Always risky and can also lead to falling bake into the bike lane and causing a wreck anyway) or dodging into traffic (which isn't as bad depending---if traffic is heavy and moving fast and the salmon appears suddenly around a bend or over a rise, there might not be a lot of time to wait for a safe time to dodge left. The Fail-Safe is to stop ... but the idiot going the wrong way might not, or might try to squeeze by a hit you anyway.

Anyone who wants to salmon a short distance---I did on a group ride a while back because the whole group preferred

I don't see why runners or walkers would face cars. to ride wrong a couple hundred yards rather than to cross a high-speed multi-lane road twice, so I am not playing "holier than thou"-------has an obligation to go into the dirt to let correctly-heading traffic by, IMO. You want the convenience, you take the risk. I walked and ran for years before I became a bike commuter, and I always went with the traffic. Never had a problem.

I very nearly had a problem several months ago when I cam around a pitch-black corner and nearly rammed a runner heading right towards me. Somehow I sensed he was there even before might light hit him and luckily I had room to swing wide (into the road--luckily no traffic.) He had no sort of lights on at all, and because I was turning, I was committed to my line before my lights fully hit the end of the line. Strikes me as stupid.

Also at night, how could a runner see much but glare as cars approached? And as cyclists, we know full well that a driver doesn't necessarily see what is on the side of the road even when the headlights hit it.

I would strongly recommend running with traffic and wearing a flashing light on one's belt.