Old 02-07-19, 09:03 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Originally Posted by crank_addict View Post
My immediate thought of current rides in the stable.

1950s Weinmann aluminum cottered crank, still being used in very tall original race gearing in big climbing.

AVA and Pivo stems.

Viscount with aluminum fork.

Teledyne Titan with original titanium fork.

AlAN early carbon tubed, aluminum lugged.

Felt Nine-3 carbon hardtail 29er.

And of course, the subject of using 'numerous' very much aged vintage tubular tires. The horror!!
From the manufacturer's perspective, even a 1% failure rate is enormous. It's bad enough just replacing the parts, along with the damage to the company's reputation. If the failure also carries the risk of injury and the resultant lawsuit, then it's a major problem.

From the consumer's perspective... well, it's unlikely that you'll experience the failure. It's sort of like playing the lottery, but in reverse.
If you do it a few times, you're very unlikely to experience the failure. If you ride it thousands and thousands of times, then your odds go up quite a bit.
There's certainly value in having fun and interesting bikes, especially if they don't get ridden a lot!

I tend to keep my bikes a long time and put a lot of miles on them... less so for my vintage bikes. I figure I'm taking some chances just using the original stem on my '82 Olmo Competition... hopefully not too much?
I have had a failure on one of my newer bikes.. a broken fork blade on my 2008 commuting bike. I was lucky it didn't break earlier in the day, while coming down a hill at 45mph! There had been other failures of the same type, but I never heard the manufacturer recall the fork. They did send me a new fork, of an improved design, though.

Regarding the original issue... there have been steel frame tubes that were sufficiently light gauge that they reportedly would flex if pinched hard. Not hard to imagine that a CF frame could be similarly designed to handle only the intended loads. Without actual data, though, it's just speculation.

Steve in Peoria