Old 02-07-19, 02:39 PM
Johno59

Bikes: 2x pre-1934 Humbers, 1932 Raleigh Tourist, 1946 Raleigh Lenton, 1947 Grand Prix Raleigh, 1949 Golden Arrow, 1950 Robin Hood, 1956 Claude Butler, 1973 Raleigh Wayfarer, 1984 Holdsworth, 1985 EG Bates Lo-pro Funny TT Bike, 1980 Alan,3 x custom TT bikes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Carbon reflex

CF s greatest attribute is its ability to flex and not weaken. Unlike Al and to a much lesser degree steel, it is unaffected by constant work load cycles. It is half the weight of Al and a quarter of steel's weight. It is 10 times stronger than Al and 3 times steel.
I would have thought sitting on the TT would have zero affect on the TT. CF being monocurque ensures any load is carried by the entire TT and the tops of the seat post and front head tube. A break on the TT suggests to me a pretty serious crash or a rim crunching pothole under full gas..
The possibility of poor lamination of the layers is also poss. One thing unique to CF is delamination between layers carbon and the resin. Prior to a catostrophic failure delaminated bike would feel like ridiimg a marshmallow

Delamination failure is a feature of long term mechanical loads that have occurred on very old and hard worked machines.
The damage above strikes me as self - inflicted and indicates abuse.

Last edited by Johno59; 02-08-19 at 05:34 AM.