Old 02-08-19, 03:04 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8061 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by old's'cool View Post
All the inner tubes I've ever seen are not pressure vessels. I.e. they cannot contain any appreciable pressure on their own. Therefore I'm skeptical that inner tubes are somehow taking any appreciable amount of the hoop stress in a pressurized tire/tube/rim assembly.
Not necessarily true.

Have you ever tried those thorn resistant tubes? In an oversized tire?

They take 10 to 20 lbs or so to fill up the tire.

I had a sidewall blowout in a 20x3 tire. I bought one of those thorn resistant tubes at Walmart and was able to ride (pull the trailer) half-loaded about 20 miles with just the tube holding it together, no boot.

But, for ordinary thinwall tubes (Latex?), I also doubt the tube/tubeless makes much difference when actually riding, although, when mounting, one often over-pressures tubeless tires to seat the bead, and that pop during seating the bead may cause a substantial dynamic force beyond ordinary riding.

Earlier in this thread was the question whether riding tubeless at lower pressures would make one more likely to bump on rocks. Perhaps, but then the dents would be obvious, and a little slight bumping is usually my sign to stop and fix a flat. With the tire taking a fair amount of deceleration, hopefully the rims are designed to a tolerance that they brake with a slight rock bump.