Old 02-08-19, 03:06 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Examples of my experiences with LBSs:
LBS took care the warranty paperwork and shipping of a cracked Specailized frame back to manufacturer, and even got a replacement frame the color my wife liked.
LBS handled warranty work on my cracked Bianchi CX frame. Frame came with fork and headset.
LBS sold me 2 Bianchi forks at their cost to replace damaged forks.
LBS replaced 2 broken spokes in my friend's wheelchair at no cost.
LBS owner got out of his car and reopened his shop when I arrived 10 minutes after closing in need of a new tire while on a tour.
LBS sells me brake and derailleur cables at a discount because he knows they are going on people's bikes who can not afford to bring them into a bike shop.
LBS loaned my young son a pair of bike shorts, helmet, and a set of panniers when I was telling him about taking my son on a tour.
LBS did not have brake pads to fit my bike in stock when I went in on Friday. I was racing Saturday, and the owner came out to the start of the race and installed new brake pads on my bike before the start. I'm not sure where he got them. I suspect he "borrowed" them from one of his bikes.
LBS cleaned and lubed my wife's and my chains while we were on a tour, and did not charge us.
LBS and REI supplied bike boxes and plastic protective devices for packing bikes numerous times.
LBS rebuilt a new wheel due to a mix up in the braking surface. I wanted a machined surface and they made the wheel with a non-machined braking surface. There were no machined Dyad rims available anywhere. I went to a local bike manufacturer that used Dyad rims on their touring bikes and they sold me a machine surfaced rim. The original builder told be to bring in the wheel and new rim. He rebuilt the wheel with the new rim at no charge, and refunded the cost of the original rim.
LBS replaced a broken derailleur hanger and the rear derailleur due to a snapped chain late Saturday, The mechanic knew I needed the bike on Sunday and got it fixed in about an hour.
LBS helped me when I broke a Look plastic cleat while touring through France. He did not have any Look cleats so he broke open a set of Look pedals and sold me the cleats at a reasonable price.

I have many more good experiences with bike shops, but you get the idea. The list above are examples of my experiences with bike shops in the area or while on a tour. While I may have had some bad experiences with shops, I really can't remember any.

Last edited by Doug64; 02-09-19 at 09:37 PM.