Old 02-09-19, 03:28 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
I have the VO hubs and the White Industries T11 hubs. The T11 are the current road/touring model. MI5 are mountain, though they offer them in 130 by request.

I have been riding the T11 primarily for the last 3 years or so. I'm not sure how many miles but quite a few. The back wheel is on its second rim -- it's had some use. I really can't find fault with them. They've been in torrential downpours - no problem. I use Phil tenacious oil on the pawls, which pushes the boundaries of the recommended "light oil", but I've had no problems, and it makes them reasonably quiet. They are a little eccentric and fiddly to disassemble, but not difficult.

The VO hubs I have not built up yet. These were supposed to be for my heavy duty touring wheels, the ones I have yet to need. (Still waiting to have time for that 2 week tour... )The disassembly feature is pretty clever and functional, though probably not as necessary as it once was, since spokes are better and rarely break. Generally, the quality and finish doesn't look as nice as the T11 hubs. You get what you pay for. The cassette body is steel instead of titanium, IMO a better choice than aluminum. The front hub is a conventional type rather than an oversized axle type, and seems a bit cheaply made for the price. Not a concern for you. Obviously I can't speak to how they hold up in the rain. I suspect if they are oiled up with Tenacious oil to start with, and the pawls are kept lubricated at reasonably intervals, they should hold up OK.

Last edited by Salamandrine; 02-09-19 at 04:51 PM.