Thread: Mountain Lion
View Single Post
Old 02-11-19, 11:23 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Soma Smoothie, Miyata City Liner, Specialized FSR Comp, Fuji Professional

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
East coast now has a great white shark problem in waters I grew up in and raised my kids in so keep your cats please
Well not really a problem, as long as you're not swimming while wearing a black wetsuit.

The GW's have pretty much always had a presence off the eastern shores of Cape Cod but there's been an increase in the past few years as the seal population increased. They think possibly due to warming ocean waters. But the GW's have always used these waters as a breeding ground and it's been a known fact. The water for swimming tends to be cold till Sept. or so, so there haven't been many problems until lately. As well lots of folks using drones and can now take great video's of what looks like sharks stalking surfers and such. Likely they've always done that but nobody knew.

It was a bit of a surprise to discover that Sand Tiger Sharks use the Great South Bay of Long Island as a nursery, as well as there being a breading ground off the south shore of the Hamptons for GW's. Thing is, there's a great deal more research being done these days and better technology to track sharks, so we are finding out about shark behavior that's been mostly unknown.