Old 02-11-19, 05:26 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Originally Posted by crank_addict View Post
Being most on this C&V thread are mostly into steel frames, you might not like to hear about ultra fragile tubing on today's modern lightest steel. It doesn't take much to crimp.

Cool as they are I have zero interest in an ultra light modern mtb in steel. Will take carbon fiber any day over the super light steel. In addition and should the worst happen, the carbon frames ARE repairable.

Though in all fairness I would expect a CF or ultra light steel race frame as designed only for a race season and then hang it up.

The 99% of cyclist who don't race probably are expecting something more, especially after spending $8000. Then you have others weighing 200 lbs when the frame is designed for a 130 lbs. rider. 💨
Carbon is not very repairable. I would not trust it. Older carbon frames are not very trustworthy either. The problem appears to be that they tried to build them like metal bikes. So there were really high loadings around the junctions such as the head tubes. You CAN build a perfectly safe carbon frame but then it isn't particularly light. More lately they've changed the resin so that it is completely hardened from the factory and they design the junctions to spread the loads as widely as possible so that at any point the loads are relatively light. It remains to be seen since people like Colnago will only issue a two year warranty on a frame though Specialized and Trek give lifetime WARRANTIES. Remember - that is not a guarantee. Modern ultralight steel frame may not be any more reliable.

This is not to put people off with scare stories but to let you know that modern bikes built for performance are not built for reliability. Buying the lightest carries with it the inevitable chance that it could break. So chose your weapon with care.