Old 02-12-19, 01:06 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Lugged, Dura-Ace Glory

Bikes: '87 Schwinn Prologue - '74 Schwinn Paramount P15 - '8X Davidson Impulse - '88 Land Shark Road Shark - '92 Specialized Epic Carbon - '15 Cannondale CAAD10 Disc - '81 Trek 710 - '92? Bushnell Track Bike

Mentioned: 148 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie View Post
I've been sitting on the sidelines on this one. My only comment is who amongst us would buy and ride a 10 year old CF frame, one that had been ridden many miles? 20 y.o.? 30?

I trust steel.
I trust steel implicitly. Vintage welded aluminum (a la Cannondale) as well.

As to your question, I would buy and ride one. It would be an in-person purchase only, and a lot of going over it and looking at clearcoat condition for any potential issues current or to be. Now, there are not a lot of super tall 10+ year old CF bikes around...that look decent. A lot of stuff less than 10 years, and given the same inspection, I'd ride those. For a 30 year old one, say those CF/aluminum Team Miyatas that were sold (someone on here has one) but are otherwise complete unicorns, I'd ride a clean one.

I suppose it says a lot about my level of trust (foolishness?) when I buy and build up a 1980 Trek 412 with bright orange rust powder in the bottom of the inside of the top tube (no internal rust anywhere else) and paint bubbling. Zero problems with it, and would build it up again and ride it long distance. [Currently it's just resting as a frame, fork and headset. Not selling it though!]