Old 02-12-19, 08:55 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Also ... I have to wonder if the BSO-type bikes sold in Europe aren't a bit better out of the box than the U.S. versions. because Europe has a much stronger cycling culture, a bike which didn't stand up wouldn't sell. A lot of people buy BSOs here either for growing kids, in which case they expect to replace the bike every couple years, or people who simply cannot afford one penny more and don't have any expectations of getting a decent bike because they have no context .... all they have ever seen are garbage bikes.
Nope. Sports shops in Iceland sold GMC Denalis. I saw a lot of simple SHIMANO branded drietrain stuff in other sporting goods store. While certain regions of Europe may care more about cycling than the US, it is a flat out myth that there is some sort of universal acceptance and care and knowledge of it.

Originally Posted by cyccommute
I think the problem here is a misunderstanding of what "unrepairable" means. You could go out today, buy a Yugo...there's one on Fleabay for $3500 with only 1800 miles on it...and spend thousands of dollars getting it to factory spec. But you'd have a Yugo that is factory spec plus an empty wallet. Would the Yugo be worth the money you spent on it? Could you get your investment back either at sale or in miles of use? Probably not. There's a reason you don't find a lot of used Yugos around.
+1.

Coops around me have zero issue fixing those bikes, and I'd argue do far more repair in them than anything nicer. They however have the advantage of a pile of scrap parts that are essentially free, and cheap/nonexistent labor rates.

And I'd probably spend the money on the Yugo, but I'm odd like that.