View Single Post
Old 01-23-06, 02:43 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
This-free and that-free, I suppose it can go on till you reach a Jainist-like moment of nirvana just before you expire from being food-free. For those of us left behind with all our short-comings though, we probably seek a less pure balance.

Sailboats are notoriously high maintenance. RV's are good if you want to travel, though it's not exactly car-free. I guess for each person, they have to find out what provides the highest benefit to work ratio.

For me it's a small apartment. Grounds maintenance is covered, major repairs. So I mostly have to keep up the inside of the apartment. Where I live is quiet and I feel comfortable walking at any hour. It's close to work, and the neighborhood has restaurants, movies, banks, library, post office, small stores, grocery stores and a big box store all within walking distance.

Even my storage bin for my excess stuff is just across the street. A year ago I moved and really pared things down so everything fit in a 5x7x8 box. Yeah, it would be nice to get rid of all the extra bike tools and computer manuals, but what do I do with my grandfathers papers. I can't replace them. So for me, thats my balance of simplicity right now.