SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vbclown
Do either of your products let me download data directly from my Polar 625SX, or do I have to download it into PP3 and then input the .HRM into your software? Do either of you have a batch import for multiple .HRM files? Do either of you import the PP3 diary data? Will either of your support the new Garmin Edge 305/205 devices? These have quite a lot of buzz and many geeky cyclists (like me, and presumably like a large part of your target audience) are moving to these new toys. Again can I read my data straight from the garmin or do I have to do go through the Garmin software first?
CycliStats can import your HRM files...the easiest way is to drag and drop them onto the Calendar or the Rides tab. You can drag and drop multiple files, but each one will require confirmation (because the Polar HRM files have a bug that causes them to sometimes switch from miles to km and vice versa).

I may add direct hardware support in future, but Polar treats their hardware interfaces as proprietary. The only way to get access is to join their "Developer Program", but it's pretty expensive to join.

As for Garmin - that's on my list of interfaces to add. It looks like a simple, open file format (unlike Polar's cryptic, proprietary format).

Do either of you support non-standard windows resolutions? I run a tablet PC (thinkpad 41T), and so it runs in traditional landscape mode (1024x768 and in portrait mode 768 x 1024). Are your programs going to give me an error when I run in 768 x 1024?
I don't think this would be a problem with CycliStats, though I've not personally tested at that resolution. If you notice any issues with it, please let me know.

When it comes to Power, none of the avid users seem to mention either of your produts. It seems Cycling Peaks is the gold standard. I'm hoping to buy the new PowerTap wireless when it becomes available later this year. Do either of you intend to support downloading data directly from the PowerTap? Are either of you working on a competitive feature-set to CyclingPeaks to evaluate power in workouts?
I've heard good things about Cycling Peaks too. As for trying to compete with them, I doubt I'll make the effort in the near future. CycliStats is aimed more at the "avid recreational" cyclist, than the "competitive" cyclist, and given the cost of power measuring devices, I think the market is currently pretty small (nobody I ride with has a power meter).

That said, CycliStats will automatically estimate your average wattage for each ride, based on ride distance, speed, elevation gained, body position, etc. The estimates are (IMO) "in the ballpark", though clearly not as accurate as a power meter...but, they are consistent, and a whole lot cheaper than current power meters.

Hope this answers your questions, and feel free to post or PM me with any others you may have.

Last edited by SSP; 01-24-06 at 12:47 AM.