canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2680 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 59 Posts
Tread thread.

Seriously, try 'em both. Conti Ultra Sport II are cheap and good. Grand Prix 4000 S II are dropping enough in price to try a set of 700x23 and 700x25. See how they feel on your favorite routes and compare times over several rides to average out wind and weather conditions.

700x25 were more comfy on my bike and rough rural chipseal, and most of my best times over distance were on those tires in 2018. But handling was a bit squishy on fast turns on rough roads with 700x25 on skinny old school rims on the front wheel. So this year I switched back to 700x23. But I had to run them softer to feel as good, without sacrificing handling. It's a trade-off. If my routes were all fresh blacktop I'd ride 700x21, if I could find any good clinchers in that size. Realistically, that means 700x23.

I doubt most of us will see much difference. Any differences I *think* I've experienced could be attributed to many variables -- human, weather, etc. The benefit seems to be for pros on grueling one day races and long stage races where comfort is a significant factor in overall human efficiency.