Old 02-15-19, 10:06 PM
Long Tom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Advice sought on sub-$1k MTB for non-technical riding

Howdy folks! New to this sub. I did post a fair bit up on the Road sub when I was getting rolling with that.

I live in an area with almost literally infinite logging roads to ride, many of them gated (no cars). My road-riding buddy got a MTB and has been riding them and is demanding I join him. It sounds like a lot of fun. I used to ride MTB way back in the day (80's into early 90's) and did some fairly crazy single-track but this is NOT repeat NOT the plan this time. Now I'm old, break easily, and on top of that have had a severe enough head injury "in the books" that I am strictly verboten from bonking my head again. Obviously getting on any bike counters that advice, but it's all about risk management and if I stay on logging roads and not on trails I should be fine.

It's bewildering trying to shop for these things. Man have things changed. So if I could, here's a few specific questions.

-29'er? I'm a tall guy and most XL frames are 27.5 or 29" wheels it seems. For what I'm after here is 29" a plus or a negative?

-rear suspension. This adds a lot of expense, all else equal. Again considering my uses- worth it?

-shifters. I'd like to own roughly "105" level components to put it in road bike terms. Mid-level. Back in the day Deore was getting into the good stuff. Now?

-brakes. Looks like discs rule these days. Is there enough difference between mechanical and hydraulic to make that a thing worth worrying about?

-finally, specific bikes to look at?

-and finally finally..... what about a Bikes Direct Motobecane? Based on components it certainly looks like a guy gets a lot of bike for the $. For example, maybe critique this bike would be a good way to help me understand WTF matters and what doesn't with all the gadgetry these things have? For reference, this is an $800 bike. Shipped.

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fantom 2729DS Disc brakes, Tubeless Compatible Rims

THANK YOU for any help or advice you have to give, and don't worry, I have thick skin, lay it on me, I just want to get to the truth here.

Last edited by Long Tom; 02-15-19 at 10:11 PM.