Old 02-18-19, 09:37 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Wattsup
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I don't have sores. I get what feel like bruises, and they correspond I believe to where my two sit bones are located. I measured my sit bones using cardboard. They span 11cm. Take a look at the photo. If I sit too far back on the saddle, those bones are just too close to the metal studs. I believe it's bike fit related as well. I am using a Thompson Elite seatpost, which has no setback. It came with the bike. I have the saddle adjusted all the way to the rear, but I think I find it's not far enough rearward, so while riding, I adjust my butt a few centimeters rearward. And then I'm too close to those metal studs. So two hours of bumpy gravel and my posterior hurts because it's being impacted by the hardest part of the saddle.

That's my hypothesis. I'll know more tomorrow after I try out my new saddle.
How funny. In my post above where I talked about tilting the nose of the saddle down and moving it back, I had initially changed the seatpost from my old bike on to the new one as I was too streched out. The post in question was a Thompson Elite with no setback. After tilting the saddle forward I found I had to swap the seatpost back again as the PlanetX post that came with the bike had setback. The Thompson Elite is an excellent design which makes it easy to make small adjustments to the angle so I was a bit sorry not to be able to use it. I'm definitely far more comfortable now, though.