Old 02-18-19, 03:52 PM
werewolf

Bikes: Swift folder, single speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jur View Post
My bike stable has been static for a good number of years now - Ti Swift, Moulton, Brompton S2X. Of course a few mods have been done, most importantly on the Moulton, I put a Bafang mid drive on it (already reported and shown here). And I put a 4-sp rear cluster mod on the Brommie. But that's the lot. The Ti Swift is so bang on target I wouldn't know what to change. Just this morning I had to change the front tyre on the Ti Swift - that is tyre is 10 years old now, came from the Xootr Swift before the Ti Swift. Casing failed. I still commute every day.

So that gives you an idea how little is changing on the bike front. I suppose that's one reason I went off the boil on the Helix - I already have everything I want and need. The Helix would have replaced a bike and I wouldn't know which one to let go, most likely the Moulton, but the Helix would require either a rear wheel replacement or a friction drive, a mid drive as far as I can see is not possible. Touring is also way better on the Moulton with full suspension. The Helix has evolved so far away from the original campaign point that I now agree with others that the I expect the price to go up drastically. I don't see myself getting one.

I haven't done any bike touring for a good while either, because I lack the free time.

One astonishing thing is to do with waxing the chain with paraffin wax. I started doing that a number of years ago and the results are truly astonishing. - I keep a diary of the Ti Swift chain and I now have over 13,000km on my Ti Swift chain and I STILL can't measure any wear on that chain at all! No stretch. Or too small to measure. There is no other lube that even comes close. I basically take the chain and dip it in the molten wax in an old rice cooker, swish it around to wash out any loose particles, hang it up to cool, back on the bike. That routine is after every wet ride (rare on the Ti Swift) or when I perceive the chain is dry (rare too). The most recent waxing was about a month ago, and the one before that was a year ago. I say wow every time. Similar results on the Moulton, it gets used on wet commutes so it sees slightly more wear but still almost insignificant. To get rid of dirt and particles washed off the chain by the wax, I let the wax solidify, take it out of the rice cooker, and simply scrape off the bottom layer where all the rubbish settles to.

I used to do that many years ago, like in the 50's and 60's. Back then you couldn't find any good books on bike repair in the USA so I imported them from England, along with subscribing to Cycling & Mopeds magazine. That's where I learned the old wax technique - or paraffin or whatever they call wax over there - I never did get that straight - was "paraffin" in England wax, or maybe it was kerosene? - but we're talking about wax, like in candles, now - just as you describe, except I didn't use a rice cooker. Over one hundred year old bicycle maintenance techniques, better than ever. Another old technique I used, when building wheels, was wiring and soldering the spokes. Not long ago I came across some wheels I had built for a fellow about 30 years before. He never touched the spokes and the wheels were still perfectly true. Everything old is new again.