Old 02-23-19, 09:51 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Once home, I took some dingy (thanks, new apartment hallway lighting!) but clear photos. Fillet brazing is very nicely done. I'm used to seeing lugs with steel, so smoothed joints are something I have to remind myself of being done...even if I own a handful of vintage Cannondales...

As far as weight goes, 3089g for the frameset puts it among the very lightest steel framesets I have owned or currently own. It feels super solid, if heavier than I thought it would be.

CK headset is super stealth. One only knows it's a King by 1) spinning it 2) looking at some of the detailing 3) reading the engraved text at the top. I did #3 , then #1 made sense, and now that top cup detailing has me checking off #2 . Notice also zero accommodation for a front brake mount, even if the fork will allow a 28mm tire!

Smooth BB shell. The seat tube starts off as round, and tapers to a "semi-creased" oval at the BB shell, presumably for added stiffness. Cool detail. (and perhaps a 27.0mm accommodation as it measures less than 27.2mm longitudinally. I will have to confirm via trial and error once I find my freaking 5mm allen wrench!)