View Single Post
Old 02-24-19, 07:26 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3453 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
I am sure some of it is marketing. The companies that were quite small that made the bike packing equipment needed a phrase to distinguish their product line from panniers. And to someone that was using that type of equipment, it sounded impressive to be doing the latest thing with a new name.

I consider bike packing to be using bags and harnesses to store stuff on the bike without the use of racks. I do not consider the large cages made by Salsa or Blackburn to be racks.

And some bike packers think that if you put bike packing bags and harnesses on a road bike and stay on pavement, that is not "real" bike packing because they think bike packing is only off road kinds of riding. But I consider that to be bike packing too.

And some people mix bike packing bags and harnesses with panniers because it meets their needs better.

And some people call it a bike tour if they are only carrying their water and lunch on the bike while a van hauls their luggage.

When posting subject lines on a forum like this, it is beneficial to all to be clear and unambiguous, but other than that I pretty much concur with Machka, what the specific name is does not matter that much.