Old 02-25-19, 12:07 AM
Hermes 
Version 3.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I am about 10 years older and started training and racing in 2008 and I have been consistently doing hard training and racing road and track at least 10 races per year since with success at the state and national level.

I think you are doing great and keep it up. No, I do not think you lost fitness. Fitness is hard to get and fortunately hard to lose but there are day to day variations.

I reduce my power targets on the trainer by 7% compared to outdoors. For me, indoors is just different and harder. I could list all the potential reasons but they are all unproven and as far as I can determine, no one knows why. So it is something to play around with. I have found if I ride the trainer more, the gap between indoors and outdoors closes to an extent. And when riding inside, I need a really big fan or multiple fans for high power long efforts and still does not seem like enough.

With respect to rest, if you feel tired rest. Do not overthink this or make it too complicated.

When I decided to race, I hired a 3rd party coach to learn how to race and train. I wanted to jump start / fast track the process and not go through trying to decipher books and turn what is written into a plan. Look at the responses you are getting here. It does not have to be that hard. Also, I have had a lot of fun with coaches and their coached athletes, especially, those that I see in person versus over the internet via email. Training should be fun. YMMV