Old 02-27-19, 02:15 PM
schoolboy2 
Easily Led Astray

Bikes: Trek 5200, Trek Domane 5.2, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Based on recommendations here and in other media, my wife and I just got Orucase Airport Ninja bags for our upcoming trip to France. The savings in bike transport fees should pay for the cases this trip.

Previously, I transported my bike in a Trico hard case and also in specially designed boxes from Shipbikes.com. One of the big issues with any container you plan to reuse is what to do with it while you're touring. Shipping a Trico hardcase to my destination when I wasn't pedaling a loop route was expensive. The Shipbikes boxes fold flat and are cheaper to send to your destination, but being corrugated paper, they are only good for a couple of uses. I expect the Orucases to be a challenge to ship to my ultimate destination as well but not as costly as my hardcase.

A problem that no one has mentioned yet, is the mandatory TSA inspection. Whatever container you use, it will be opened by airport security people who likely have a poor understanding of the fragility of your bike. And, they have little time to repack it with the TLC you would use. Include photos and written instructions taped under see-through mylar tape to the outside of the box to help them do their job.

The first time I took my bike to Australia was pretty intimidating, but now, having taken my bike with me over a dozen times, it's not so worrying anymore.

Lastly, if you choose to go with a hardcase, I'll sell you my Trico, ping me for details

Safe travels.

Last edited by schoolboy2; 02-27-19 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Typo