View Single Post
Old 02-27-19, 08:44 PM
ColonelSanders

Bikes: 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1196 Post(s)
Originally Posted by greatscott View Post
That's a great stand to take but only if you can get the whole country where you live to stand with you, otherwise one person taking a stand Shimano will just laugh, they're making far far more money raising their prices then the lost of 1 sale, but if you have say 250,000 riders in your country and they all wrote into Shimano saying their boycotting well you might have an effect. Otherwise just do what everyone else is doing and buy Shimano.

Clearly many people who currently were purchasing Shimano gear online, will where they can, move to other alternatives.

You don't have to tell Shimano you are going to do this, you can just do it.

It is looking like Australia is going to get caught up in Shimano's decision too, and rather than go to my LBS and pay twice as much as I could have before, I will instead do at least the following:

1. Go from Shimano chains to KMC or Wipperman chains.

2. Go from Shimano disk brakes to Magura or Hope or TRP disk brakes.

3. Go from Shimano cable wiring to Jagwire.

4. Go from Shimano cassettes to Sunrace cassettes.

5. Go from Shimano cranks to Rotor or FSA cranks.

The only items I may be struggling to get a Shimano alternative for are for derailleurs and shifters.

But what I certainly won't be doing is paying twice the price for most items that I use to buy from Shimano.