View Single Post
Old 02-28-19, 01:17 PM
TheRef

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Is cycling an expensive hobby?

I'm hijacking my reply on another thread to create a discussion about the cost of cycling compared to some other common hobbies people have. I argue that after the initial investment which can be as large or as small as you'd like cycling can be quite an affordable pleasure. Not even counting the hidden benefits of cycling, such as better fitness, less stress, not turning into a jerk etc.

So what do you say? Compare only with your other hobbies and activities how does cycling fare?

Originally Posted by TheRef
I don't know how many hobbies can be cheaper than Cycling. Certainly none of my current or previous hobbies. Fishing comes to mind. One can buy a cheap rod and reel and use worms for bait for close to nothing. Some states require a annual fishing license for like $% bucks or something. I have two neighbors who love fishing. One complains he has to pay the $5 bucks for the license an brags that he goes years at time without paying and laughs he never got caught fishing on the local lakes, pounds and rivers. The other goes on trips, owns a fishing boat, buys all the latest and greatest gear (Did you know Shimano makes reels in different levels just like SORA, Tiagra, Dura-Ace like bicycles?)
Same hobby, two different types of "customers". Same with bicycles.
Of all of my Hobbies my wife would agree cycling is the cheapest even though I love to look and buy stuff.
Here is my quick list:
Coffee - I love to go to a decent coffee shop to read a book and relax. Usually during the winter. That and my almost daily Stabucks trip.
Books and Magazines. - I love to read. Sure I use the library to check out books for free but I like to make notes and keep some books for my personal collection. I spend a lot more on books yearly than on cycling.
Music.--- That's one I don't spend a lot of money anymore. Just like books I used to buy a lot of records and CD. Today I have a $14.99/mo Apple music family Subscription and that's enough.
Movies--- I used to go to the Theaters a lot sometimes a couple of times per week. Due to long hours at work, Family activities/ kids sports. I don't go as much anymore. Still When the 4 of us go to see a movie it can be over $60 bucks easily. I suspect I spend more at the movies than on cycling.
TV/home entertainment -- After the cable/internet, Amazon Prime (for movies), Netflix, HBO and Showtime... (I should cut all or some but hey.. It's winter 5 mouths out of the winter here.
Concerts -- I try to go to a couple concerts every year. Have you seen the price of a good concert lately?
Motorcycling --- I used to be into motorbikes, I used to do a few track days every summer-- Haven't done in over 10 years just when I sold my motorcycle and bought my first motorcycle. My wife was overjoyed.

Still think cycling is expensive???
​​​​​​​