Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Thanks very much for posting!

Looking fine.

Wondering about the 700's. Are they original to the machine? Asking because they appear to be first generation (launch was '73) and by '83 would expect a machine to have been kitted with them to be exhibiting second generation.

-----
Thank you kindly~ Certainly these French machines are an acquired taste, and I'm wanting more! Nothing bad about the Weinmann brakes w/ Kool Stops but will swap out if the right pair of CLB or Mafac / Spidel sidepull appear.

Recently rode a chilly, sloppy wet and snow 22 mile loop with warm-up rest stop at a bike shop. Biz is quiet so the young employee there had time to burn looking over this bike. Funny commentary and how surprised he was for its light weight and calling it an old "poo--jet".

Anyways, the hubs are not original to the bike but acquired NOS plus the freewheel package depicted below. I'm learning as I go and not fully up on Maillard offerings. According to Velobase the 700 pro hubs were introduced in '73 and carried thru mid '80s. Notation of plastic dust shield as early and metal being later. Lovely spin!

This model was for US market with N suffix, came with slug clinchers -Weinmann 700c concave, DOT reflectors, etc.. Boxed all of it and now setting it up to my French desires.