Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, an orange one and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2637 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
Title should say drinkable.

I would filter. Pathogens are not my concern.

My concern is mineral content. Some of the lakes look pretty colorful and I'm sure there are lots of minerals.

Anything to be concerned about?

Looks like there are lots of streams and rivers to draw from but I was just wondering about the lakes.

-Tim-
Lakes are generally okay. If you see fish rising, they would be generally safe since trout are sensitive to pH and a low pH is related to mine drainage.

Rivers, on the other hand, are much more questionable, especially around towns. Most of the towns were mining centers and there are thousands of mines draining water into the rivers around Colorado. And donít be fooled into thinking that just because the water in a river is colorless that it is safe. Gold King Mine may have turned the Animas River orange but mines in the area drain hundreds of times the volume of the Gold King Mine into the river daily. It just happens not to be orange. Itís still toxic.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.