Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2637 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Buy a Filter at REI..
Filters donít work on heavy metals.

Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
To be clear, I'm talking about lakes at >10k feet elevation in the San Juan mountains.

Sloan Lake in the American Basin is 12,900 ft.

Lake Como below California Pass and Blue Lake (below) are both at 12,200 ft.

Again, I'm not concerned with pathogens and would use a filter. I'm concerned with minerals from the surrounding land.

Is water from these safe to drink or does the color indicate minerals one would not want to ingest.

-Tim-
It would be hard to make a blanket statement. Mining activity has occured at elevations to the tops of mountains. Animas Forks, for example, is over 11,000 feet and there are mines higher than that. Look around and if you see mine tailings, it might be best to pass. If the tailings have a very yellow or red, that means there is probably acid discharge downstream of those tailings. If the water and the ground under the water you are thinking of using is red, yellow or basically any color by dirt brown...pass.

I havenít run across any high lakes that I wouldnít filter from. They are generally safe but not always.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.