Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1733 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
IMO, this article is for ultra marathoners who have a high degree of fitness and the focus is week to week.

As an ultramarathon athlete, you are better off completing your hardest workouts (like the 8 hill repeat workout mentioned above) when you are most rested, and then backing off the volume of workload (like the 6 hill repeat workout mentioned above) as you accumulate fatigue over time.

This concept may or may not apply to road cyclists but may have some implication for long distance cyclists.
I think it might apply to everyone who does a 2 or 3 weeks hard then 1 easy schedule. If one doesn't schedule an easy week, the article with its week-to-week emphasis isn't applicable. It also wouldn't be applicable to those who don't do one or two really hard days during a week and then recover.

I've seen programs where there't not the variation in ATL shown in the article. Some folks do different things during a week but all having about the same TSS. I'm in the one killer ride a week camp because I train specifically for that thing. I can definitely see the point of not having huge weekly peaks in the ATL if one didn't need them. As you point out, I'm in the camp with the ultrarunners because we need that one big workout.

I'm not sufficiently familiar with the training science of overload to opine which is actually better for ultimate fitness . . . anyone? I suppose the real question is "fitness for what."

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 03-02-19 at 11:08 PM.