View Single Post
Old 03-03-19, 07:04 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
If you search previous posts you should be able to find numerous suggestions, opinions, and ideas re: this question. Bottom line - to each his own depending upon individual strength, style, cadence, local topography, etc.

But - personally I don't have much use for anything bigger than a 39T chain ring - and I prefer a sub 1:1 lowest gear ratio. I like MTB doubles on road bikes with a decent-range cassette (11 or 12 to 32 or 34). This allows me to pedal at a realistic cadence up to around 22mph and it provides lots of low gears for hill climbing. A MTB double with a 39 or 40T large ring will usually have a 26 or 28T small ring. I prefer double cranks to triples because the shifting seems a little bit cleaner to me.

However, I just installed a new Deore 42/32/22 triple on a (fairly heavy) gravel/adventure bike - and I did this because I got the crank and BB brand new for $60 and the existing brifters/front der. can handle it. So I'll give it a try.

53/39 sounds kind of tall. And if you really don't know what you want, then get an affordable set-up to experiment with - lots of decent used equipment on ebay and Craigslist. Once you figure out your preference maybe then you spring for a shiny new set-up.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell you what will/won't work with Flight Deck brifters.